It is important to be safe when using the internet. The internet is constantly growing seeing the increase of online communication, entertainment, shopping and education. However there are risks that you need to be aware off and protect yourself against.
- Ensure your passwords are private and change them regularly
- Don’t give out your email address to anyone you don’t know
- Use nicknames whilst chatting online, don’t give out personal information such as your full name, address details, phone number or school name
- Don’t open and delete any emails from anyone you don’t know
- If information on a webpage makes you feel uncomfortable, leave the site and report it, should you feel it is necessary.
- Don’t meet up with anyone that you have met online
- Don’t believe everything that you read online
Many websites provide useful advice on staying safe online: