Skip Navigation LinksChanges-for-18-21-year-olds

Changes for 18-21 year olds - Help with rent

This change may affect you if you are single, aged 18-21 and claiming Universal Credit under the ‘full’ (digital) service. 

If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit in a ‘full’ (digital) service area, or you are already on the Universal Credit ‘full’ (digital) service and you become liable to pay rent, then depending on your circumstances you may not be able to get any help towards your rent. 

Many young people are protected from this change.

This change may affect you if you are single, aged 18-21 (ie up to the day before your 22nd birthday) and getting Universal Credit under the ‘full’ (digital) service.

If, from 1April 2017 onwards, you:

  • make a new claim for Universal Credit (under the ‘full’ digital service), or
  • become liable to pay rent  

Then you may not be entitled to help towards your rent.

However, certain groups will still be able to get help with their housing costs:
  • couples
  • parents 
  • certain carers
  • those who the DWP consider to be unfit for work
  • certain vulnerable people
  • young people unable to live with parents
  • working young people, earning more than 16 hours per week x the appropriate minimum wage 
  • those who have been in work for 6 months or more – who can get help towards their rent for the first 6 months after leaving work.

If you already get help with your rent through Universal Credit, you are protected while there is no break in your claim or in your liability to pay rent. If you move from Housing Benefit onto Universal Credit with no break between the claims, you are protected.

NOTE: Certain 18-21 year olds who are in certain types of supported accommodation, even if claiming Universal Credit, will get help with their rent through Housing Benefit rather than through Universal Credit. This change will not affect Housing Benefit claims.