We are working alongside United Utilities to help reduce the cost of water rates.
You could save £££'s per year off your water bill. Average weekly charges can be seen in the table below...
|Property Type||Average Water Charge with a *meter per week:|
- United Utilities will fit the meter free of charge
- Carry on paying through GGHT with your rent - no prepay
- Change your mind? No problem - go back to your existing charges, by telling United Utilities within a year
- Apply any time of year
Shrink your water bill – with a FREE water meter for tenants
If you are a tenant with a fixed tenancy agreement’ you can apply for a free water meter from United Utilities. Check out the United Utilities website.
Want to know more contact the GGHT Money Advice Team to see what savings you could make with a water meter.
*Average metered charges for water in GGHT properties by type 2010/11.
Water Sure - Financial Assistance
Watersure provides financial assistance to household customers with a water meter who use large amounts of water for essential purposes. This section explains the Watersure scheme in greater detail and gives guidance on how to apply.
Am I eligible for the scheme?
You may be eligible if you or any member of your household receives any of the following benefits/tax credits:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefits
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)
- Pension Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
And in addition, either:
- Receive child benefit for three or more children under 19 living at the same address and still in full-time education
- You or any member of your household have one of the following medical conditions, which causes significant extra water use: Desquamation (flaky skin disease), Weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis, varicose ulceration), Incontinence, Abdominal stoma, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis, Renal failure requiring home dialysis (except where the health authority contributes to the cost of the water used in dialysis)
- Other medical conditions can be accepted if the condition uses significant amounts of water and is supported by a signed certificate issued by a Doctor or registered practitioner
You do not qualify for the scheme if:
Your bill is not based on a meter reading (unless we were unable to fit a meter at your property and you have chosen to pay an assessed charge).
You have a swimming pool with a capacity of over 10,000 litres.
You water your garden with a non-handheld appliance, such as a sprinkler or domestic irrigation system.
How do I apply?
If you think you are eligible, the person who pays your water bill should download the Watersure booklet and application form and return this to us at the address shown on the form. So that we can process your application quickly and efficiently, it is essential that you enclose copies of your supporting information. We are unable to accept you on the scheme without them. Any missing documentation may cause delays to your application.