Skip Navigation LinksLeaving-the-Armed-Forces

Leaving the Armed Forces - Is Social Housing For You?

​​british soldier​​So you are going to leave the Armed Forces (Army/ RAF/ Navy) and need somewhere to live…is social housing for you?

Have you thought about living in Warrington? 
GGHT is Warrington’s largest social landlord and has around 8,600 properties throughout the Warrington Area. The homes mainly comprise of traditionally built Houses, Flats and bungalows. 

We also have a high rise block and three extra care sheltered housing schemes run by Warrington Borough Council.

Working in Warrington...
Warrington even has a variety of employment opportunities, with the largest sectors being customer contact centres, logistics and warehousing, retail, engineering or even domiciliary care.  GGHT have our own Employment Team who can help you into work, find out more here.​

How to Apply for a Home...
You apply for a home via a scheme called CHOOSEaHOME, find out more about how CHOOSEaHOME works here.​

As we receive far more applications than we have empty properties, we need to make sure we rent our homes to people who are most in need. To do this fairly, we will assess your application using a banding system and we do take into account the community covenant when we allocate bands.  If you have left the armed the armed forces within the least 5 years, you will be placed in band B priority need.​


Employment Support 
We offer a whole host of completely free services to support you into employment, we have a dedicated Employment Team, feel free to contact the GGHT Employment Team on 01925 452452 who will be more than happy to help you - find out more about our Employment Team here.

The Warrington Job centre plus has an Armed Forces Champion in place to specifically support people into employment who have served.  You can find their contact details here. The Armed Forces Champion for the Job Centre Plus is Joanne Fagan so ask for her when contacting them.

One on one support 
We work with various local agencies such as Blue Apple and the Veterans hub run from the Gateway in support from St Loyes.  If you require some extra support just let us know and we can make the right referral for you and get you the support you deserve.

Shoulder to Soldier – Armed Forces Families Housing Support Service (Cheshire)
Shoulder to Soldier is a charity that helps Tri Service Armed Forces Families when they need support – providing advice, advocacy, social welfare support and relief.

They work across the UK and offer a friendly service not only for serving personnel and ex serving personnel but also for their families. 

They have a dedicated, professional team of Trustees and Volunteers, ready to support our Armed Forces and their families when required.  Contact them on 07515 892720 or email or visit

Contact us for more information.​​