Skip Navigation LinksLeaving a GGHT Property

Leaving a GGHT Property (Older People)

GGHT BungalowThere are many reasons why a older person may leave their home or Extra Care accommodation. It is important that everyone understands what happens if a decision to leave is made. Below are some examples and advice for both tenants and their families who find themselves in this situation. 

Moving through choice:

If an older person decides that they no longer want to live in their current accommodation, they may want to live with family, they may want to move out of the area to be nearer to family, they are required to give 4 weeks written notice to GGHT. During that time arrangements have to be made to make sure that the current accommodation is emptied of all belongings as anything left behind may incur a clearance cost.

Moving to residential/nursing care:

This decision is usually made in conjunction with Adult Social Care as the needs of the older person have increased and the level of care needed can not be provided within their current home setting. If an older person is moved into nursing care, after 6 weeks an assessment is carried out. A decision will then be made to make the older person a permanent resident. Once this decision has been made a letter needs to be provided to GGHT to confirm that the older person will remain in care and will not be returning to the property. This letter gives 2 weeks notice from the first Monday after the letter is received, i.e. if a letter is received by GGHT on a Tuesday, the notice will run from the following Monday. During the 2 weeks notice period, it is usual for family/ friends to remove any items from the property that the older person needs and to dispose of anything that is not needed. Anything left in the property may incur a charge.

When a friend or family member passes away:

This is not an easy time for anyone that has to deal with the passing of a loved one.  GGHT is aware that when someone dies there are many decisions and arrangements to make, all of which can be difficult in a time of grief.  There are a few steps that need to be taken shortly after the death:
  • GGHT must be notified of the death as soon as possible. 
  • A copy of the death certificate needs to be provided to GGHT.
  • Any housing benefit paid to the tenant will cease from the date of their death, therefore, full rent will be due for as long as the keys/fobs are held.
  • Once the funeral has taken place the property needs to be cleared of all furniture and belongings, anything left may incur a charge for removal.
  • All keys/fobs must be returned to GGHT.

In many cases the hospital or GP involved will help you with these early steps:
  • Notify the family GP.
  • Register the death at a register office.
  • Find the will - the deceased person’s solicitor may have a copy if you can't find one.
  • Begin funeral arrangements - you will need to check the will for any special requests.
  • I​f relevant, telephone the Department for Works & Pensions (DWP) using the number on form BD8 given to you when you register the death. They will advise you whether you also need to complete the form and send it to them but in most cases you won’t need to. 
  • If the person who has died was receiving any benefits or tax credits, advise the offices that were making the payments.
  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help.
  • Utility companies if accounts were in the deceased's name.
  • Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing.
  • TV/internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions.

It is expected that at the end of all the above circumstances, the rent account is cleared in full and all keys/fobs will be returned to GGHT. In some cases a pendant/wrist strap will have been issued for the Community Alarm Service. It is essential that the pendant/wrist strap is returned with the keys to avoid incurring any further costs.

Need more help?

If there is any uncertainty around what needs to be done, GGHT staff are always on hand to give guidance and support, just contact us​.  

Within Extra Care schemes staff are on site and they can also give help and advice.