Golden Gates Housing Trust (GGHT) holds personal and confidential information about its employees, Board members, employment applicants, tenants, leaseholders, housing applicants and suppliers. All individuals have a right to privacy and GGHT is bound by the Data Protection Act 1998.
The Data Protection Act gives individuals the right to know what information is held about them, on computer and most paper records. It provides a framework to ensure that personal information is handled properly.
The Act states that anyone who processes personal information (e.g. GGHT) must comply with eight principles, which make sure that personal information is:
- Fairly and lawfully processed.
- Processed for limited purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Accurate and up to date.
- Not kept for longer than is necessary.
- Processed in line with your rights.
- Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Housing management.
- Repair and maintenance of your home.
- Collection of rent, service charges and housing benefit.
- To meet your care and support requirements.
- Prevention and detection of crime.
- Research e.g. surveys to help us improve our services to you.
- Equal opportunities monitoring.
- Performance monitoring.
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We charge a fee of £10 to respond to your request, which will be within 40 calendar days from the day we receive your payment - see our information request form (pdf)
. A request form MUST be completed to allow us to check that you are who you say you are and so that your information will be released to you and you only.
for further details about GGHT’s Data Protection Policy or to request a hard copy of the GGHT information request form.